Thursday, October 25, 2012

Elementals Review From The Rejectionist

Francesca Lia Block
The Elementals
272pp. St. Martin's Press. 9781250005496
OH YOU GUYS. IT'S FLB. I would read this if it was godawful and written on napkins, or something, but it is in fact far and away the best thing Francesca Lia Block has written in years and years and years. Creepy and sad and lovely and goth; it's like if The Secret History had a baby with Pamela Dean's Tam Lin. The FLB of The Elementals seems older and sadder and wiser than the FLB of Weetzie Bat; I mean, obviously, since it's been over twenty years (!!!!) since Weetzie was published, but in addition to her always-gorgeous language and imagery, The Elementals is rooted in a serious, honest examination of love and loss. I loved this from start to finish.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I've been reading and rereading your work since I was a fairy-hunting ten year old (1996).
    Even with all of its darkness The Elementals reminded me of how much magic was missing from life these days.
    Thank you for reviving me, once again, with your otherworldly words.

    ReplyDelete