Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The next big thing

My answers for #thenextbigthing
Q: What is your working title of your book (or story)? The Elementals #theelementals
Q: Where did the idea come from for the book? I’ve been writing it in my mind and in bits and pieces for so long that I can’t remember. I was inspired by the story of Tam Lin, by Patrick Harpur’s THE PHILOSOPHER’S SECRET FIRE, by Keats and Yeats.
Q: What genre does your book fall under? Adult fiction but it is quickly gaining an older young adult audience. It also has elements of urban fantasy and murder mystery.
Q: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? A young Charlotte Gainsbourg for Ariel. A young Joseph Gordon-Levitt for John.
Q: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Ariel Silverman is a freshman at U Berkeley investigating the disappearance of her best friend when she falls into the secret world of three beautiful and mysterious strangers.

Q: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? It is published by St. Martin’s Press and my agent is Laurie Liss from Sterling Lord Literistic.
Q: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
About nine months and then I revised it a lot.
Q: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? THE LOVELY BONES by Alice Sebold. THE SECRET HISTORY by Donna Tartt. IN THE WOOD by Tana French. At least these were all inspirations.
Q: Who or what inspired you to write this book? My mother. The Faerie Queen. The death of a girl I knew as a child.
Q: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? I started the story about a young woman whose mother has cancer a few months before my mom found out she had cancer. I finished it sitting on the floor in the doorway of the room where my mother died. She told me “Everything is going to be a fine,” held my hand and looked into my eyes and then she smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment